Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Biscuit Basin | Yellowstone National Park

If I had to choose my favorite place at Yellowstone, it would be the Biscuit Basin. It was a short drive up from Old Faithful and definitely worth the stop. It is one of those places that you must see.

Biscuit Basin contains a small collection of thermal features. Many, however, are small, gem-like encrusted pools and geysers, including Silver Globe Spring, Sapphire, and Black Opal pools, Jewel, Cauliflower, and Black Pearl geysers. The Firehole River and a highway divide the basin. Sapphire Pool dominates the main group west of the river. The water of this pool, or spring, is crystal clear with a Oriental blue sapphire tint. Other important features include Shell Geyser, which has a golden-lined crater, and Jewel Geyser, known for the shiny, beaded sinter around its vent. - Yellowstone National Park.com

Firehole River

The start of the walkway through Biscuit Basin showing the stream rising from the geysers.






Black Opal Spring




Sapphire Pool

Jewel Geyser

Avoca Geyser

Silver Globe Geyser


 Two old geezers

4 comments:

Teresa Parrott said...

Your photos are absolutely beautiful! Sorry, I didn't see any "old geezers" tho. :)
The pictures look professional. I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing.
Teresa

Ed Haynes said...

Fantastic! I'm so glad that you guys had a great trip there. Yellowstone is such an amazing place, Jenni and I talk about our memories there all the time. Awesome photos!

Jenni said...

This was one of my favorite stops too! The smell comes back when I see the pictures :)

Melanie Busbee said...

Wow. These are beautiful. I want to go.